November is Skin Health Month. So, let’s address where you are in your skincare journey. Are you interested in getting on a consistent daily regimen? Wanting to add some amazing treatments to up your skin goals? Or are you unsure of how to even get started? Well, listen here! My glowing advice –do it all! Combine a daily ZO Skin Health regimen with in-office procedures to create and maintain healthy, youthful skin.
Your skin is your largest organ and it needs to be treated that way. Just like we make time for an annual physical, our skin requires the same to ensure it’s as healthy as possible. That’s where I come in. Think of me as your Skincare Coach. I am here to guide you on your personal and customized skincare journey—a journey that starts right now!
Patients often ask me when they should start with a skincare regimen. But really what they are asking is “what age is the best to start a skincare routine?” When it comes to obtaining gorgeous skin, prevention is the key. Getting on a daily AM/PM skincare regimen in your 20’s or 30’s, allows you to truly get the benefits of all the amazing ZO anti-aging products, build a foundation for long-term skin health, and not play catch-up with your wrinkles later on in life. Want to avoid surgery or more invasive procedures when you’re older? Then don’t wait until you are in your 50’s or 60’s to tackle deep lines and wrinkles, sagging skin, and bad texture. But if you do, that doesn’t mean you can’t turn around your skin; it just gets a little harder the older you are.
I can’t stress enough how important it is to start with a few basic products like a good cleanser, exfoliator, and toner to kick off your skin journey. Cleanse- to effectively remove dirt, oil, and makeup without stripping and drying the skin. Exfoliate- to physically remove the build-up of dead skin cells and to stimulate new cell turnover and allow for better product penetration. Tone- to instantly restore the PH of the skin and ensure treatment products penetrate to the appropriate depth. When choosing a cleanser, exfoliate, or toner, look for products that have anti-inflammatories, antioxidants, and hydrating components in their products like ZO Skin Health.
A healthy skin lifestyle also means pampering your skin by getting treatments, such as facials, dermaplaning, 3 Step Peels and microneedling. Dermal Fillers (Restylane, Juvederm etc) are a very popular treatment because they are a quick way to reduce the common signs of aging. Most dermal fillers are based on hyaluronic acid. This substance already exists in your skin and it’s the same substance that is used in fillers. Hyaluronic acid keeps your skin hydrated and plump, looking youthful and healthy. When these are added to your skin by means of a dermal filler, they stimulate the skin to produce collagen; a protein that keeps it firm and supple. Who wouldn’t want this boost when collagen decreases with age and sun exposure, causing sagging and wrinkling?! Dermaplaning, fillers, and facials are a just a few of the many treatment options that contribute to the overall health and wellness of your skin.
My 6 Tips for Skin Health
I’m all about incorporating a variety of options to maintain fresh, flawless skin. Here are 6 of my skincare recommendations to support healthy skin:
- Monthly Dermaplaning with a Medical HydraFacial: there is no excuse for lingering dead skin cells that dull the epidermis, peach fuzz and/or black heads! Both of these treatments also help with the tone and texture of your skin, giving you that enviable glow. (Check out my other blog on Dermaplaning for more info!)
- Strengthen Skin Barrier Function: When your barrier function is intact your skin will be tolerant, strong and naturally hydrated and will appear soft and youthful. Skin barrier function is crucial in correcting skin weakness, sensitivity, dryness, and restoring overall skin health. We recommend adding ZO Daily Power Defense into your regimen to support your skin’s DNA repair process, boost collagen, and it has hyaluronic acid to restore skin barrier.
- Exfoliation: There are two types of Exfoliation- physical and chemical. ZO Skin Health offers 2 physical exfoliation products- Exfoliating Polish for all skin types and Dual Action Scrub for oily to acne prone skin. ZO Skin Health offers 2 Chemical Exfoliation products- Enzymatic Peel—a gentle skin resurfacing treatment enhancer and Exfoliation Accelerator– with core ingredients 10% Glycolic Acid + lactic acid complex. I personally use physical and chemical exfoliation products on a daily basis to get ALL the benefits.
- Add a Retinol: Retinols have superpowers to help eliminate and reduce signs of aging, improve appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, improve skin texture, clear acne, and even skin tone. You heard right; retinols do all of the above all the time—there is literally no reason not to add it to your regimen! (Look for my upcoming blog on Vitamin A)
- Botox: Let’s be honest, healthy skin looks better when it’s smooth from Botox. Avoid pesky fine lines by getting Botox every 3-4 months.
- SUNSCREEN: wearing sunscreen is non-negotiable! Hyperpigmentation + Sun Damage—is preventable! Also did you know that too much sun breaks down your collagen…aka- saggy skin!
Now Is the Time!
Healthy skin can happen now! This November is the perfect time to start your skincare journey or give your current regimen a boost. Make your skin part of your overall lifestyle choices; you control your skin’s destiny. Carve out time each day for your skincare regimen and prioritize other treatments to support your skin goals.
And with the holidays around the corner, what’s better than giving your skin the gift of glow?!